Stuc a' Chroin and Ben Vorich

Stuc a' Chroin and Ben Vorich

Thursday 17 June 2010

Berghaus windshirt


There's an interesting discussion on windshirts on Martin Rye's blog and The Odyssee talks about an old jacket on his blog.

So here is a combination of both these things: a picture of my ancient Berghaus windshirt made from their own Airfoil fabric. It has survived some rough use rock climbing as well as during backpacking trips and is still perfectly serviceable. It's not very waterproof even when treated, a bit on the baggy side, weighs about 185g, is about 25 years old I guess, has a hood and packs into its own pocket which, incidentally, is just large enough for an OS Map.





I have trousers from the same material but hardly ever use them, mainly because the legs have no zips for easy on and off over boots or trail shoes.

Not bad gear for it's time I think - can't imagine it ever wearing out.

8 comments:

AlanR said...

When you go back 25 yrs, 185gr was very lightweight. It must have felt great. I don't remember seeing this kit myself but then again we didn't have the internet either.
As a windshirt it would still be practical today.
Are the trousers not wearable just as basic trousers?

afootinthehills said...

I don't think Berghaus made it for very long. I seem to recall them promoting a lightweight 'rain suit' (smock and trousers), made from Aquafoil for alpine climbing, as well as a 'wind suit' which is what I effectively bought. I don't think either of them were a great success for some reason. Come to think of it, I've only seen one other person with the smock - my wife!

I don't find the fabric all that comfortable against the skin so wouldn't wear the trousers as basic tousers Alan.

AlanR said...

Love the 2 tone colours as well.
I do remember a heavy duty fleece jacket coming from them in the exact same colours.

afootinthehills said...

My wife's is a sort of purple/blue with the same green fabric as mine for the hood and my trousers are made of the purple fabric. Maybe they didn't make many because they were using up old bits of Airfoil!

Martin Rye said...

The design is good. Lasted well for you. I wonder what they are making these days on the wind shirt front?

afootinthehills said...

Martin - I think they made a wind shirt from Airfoil Light fabric several years ago but that's as much as I know - which isn't much! I don't look at gear nearly as often as I used to, being more or less happy with what I've got.

Thanks for dropping by and commenting.

AlanR said...

Gibson/Martin,
I noticed purely by chance this weekend, a Berghaus windshirt. I wasn't impressed with it in any way. I should have noted the name of it but i missed it.

Anonymous said...

At last, Found somewhere that positively covers what I'm still wearing (got it second hand from a mate, it's even named after him - a McCaig -he'd try stuff and sell on ;-).

I think it's great, and I'm trying to replace it with something as simple and effective. I'll probably have to buy some material from Pennine Outdoor and sew-up a new one. It's wonderful for keeping the midges at bay, the sea breezes on Scottish islands away and being a great outer 'shell'.

Mine is in dark red / purple hood.