Stuc a' Chroin and Ben Vorich

Stuc a' Chroin and Ben Vorich

Tuesday 10 July 2012

Monday 9 July - Ard Crags, Scar Crags and Causey Pike

According to Harry Griffin, it could be argued that Causey Pike is merely "the first incident on an extremely pleasant ridge" (to Scar Crags and beyond presumably) and "not really very much of a mountain". It could be argued no doubt, but I've never really regarded this fine little peak in such a way.

The ascent by Rowling End with its numerous rocky steps and the final scamble up the 'chimney' to the summit of Causey makes it feel much more than an 'incident' on a ridge to me.

The title of the post tells of what we climbed today - a day of drizzle and low cloud in the morning as we ascended via the Rigg Beck path - and of sunshine and flowing mists in the pm.

Alan- Thanks for both your comments. We like being based here since we can get to all our favourite areas relatively easily. High Moss - I wouldn't have known where it was either without checking the map. I just happened to have the Satmap on otherwise I'd probably have said 'from near Outerside'. Put that mint sauce away!

Conrad - I had planned to do a full post on this very topic when home, so I hope you won't mind waiting for a full' reply'. Like you my formative years were spent rock climbing in the Lake District (from 1967) and Lynne and I have been regular visitors since then. I know, therefore, where you're coming from, but I still have a great affection for the fells. More later and thanks for commenting.

D+D - thanks for looking after the house as usual.


Sent from my BlackBerry®

No comments: