Stuc a' Chroin and Ben Vorich

Stuc a' Chroin and Ben Vorich

Monday 13 May 2019

Sunday 12 May - Meall a’ Mhuic 745m Graham. L42, NN579508



It’s a very long time since we were in Glen Lyon but it still felt familiar as did the drive over the narrow hill road by Lochan an Lairige. The Ben Lawers car park was a seething mass of humanity and nothing would have enticed us to set foot on those hills today.

By contrast were were alone setting out from Innerwick towards the The Kirk Road, otherwise known as The Lairige Ghallabhaich, on our way to Meall a’ Mhuic. The estate track was pretty ugly, as they all are, though I’ve seen worse, and fairly soon it gave way to an older, more mature grassy one which in turn petered out on a heathery and sometimes boggy expanse. It made for slow-ish going and it seemed to take a surprisingly long time to cover the ground. In fact the final short stroll over the dry, crisp, mossy summit slopes brought us to the cairn exactly on time according to the guidebook, despite a missed junction which involved short diversion to regain the route and stops for photographs. Tea and rolls were enjoyed, though the strong wind was a bit too cold for sitting around in the running shorts I had donned earlier in the walk. 

All day the best views had been to the south and we were forever stopping and looking back, but from the top it was Ben Nevis, the Mamores, the Glen Coe hills, the Loch Ericht hills, Schiehallion - too many to mention - which set ‘memories dancing’ (Hamish Brown, I think). The eastern hills above the A9 looked to be holding much snow.  This was not a long day - a mere 8km round trip - but was an enjoyable start to the holiday 

Back at Innerwick we visited the Telford church and War Memorial. An appropriately peaceful place for both.

I’ve limited the photos to three in the hope they’ll upload OK. 









Sent from my iPhone 

2 comments:

Gayle said...

I've passed both to the west and the east of this hill. Someday I'll return again and go up it.

(I know it's a bit after the event. Your blog doesn't allow me to read full posts via a RSS reader, so I'm just having a bit of a catch-up session now I'm at home, with internet and electricity on tap.)

afootinthehills said...

Gayle - Not the most interesting of hills I have to say.