Stuc a' Chroin and Ben Vorich

Stuc a' Chroin and Ben Vorich

Thursday 11 November 2010

Sea eagles

It has been reported that 46 young sea eagles fledged this year in Scotland - 10 more than last year- and that there are now 52 adult pairs, up 6 on 2009. Last year one was spotted over Cumbria and Dumfries having flown from Fife. Excellent news. (see also post of 21 August 2010)

However, the planned introduction of this beautiful bird in southern England has been cancelled because of budget cuts.

8 comments:

AlanR said...

Hi Gibson,
Fantastic, I hope that i am lucky enough to see one in Scotland in 2011.

afootinthehills said...

Me too Alan, but I haven't been lucky yet!

Alan Sloman said...

It's nice to get a bit of good news for a change. Thanks, Gibson!

(Word = "funmaxa")

afootinthehills said...

Thanks Alan - my thoughts exactly!

Greg said...

It sounds brilliant. Do they eat fish? Are there any fish left for them to eat?

Anonymous said...

Gibson

If you want to know of a place where there's a reasonable chance of spotting nesting hen harrier, let me know and I'll send you a PM. It's not something I'd want to make too public for reasons you can probably appreciate.

afootinthehills said...

Greg - They'll eat gulls, ducks, waders, crows, rabbits and hares as well as a variety of fish! They will also take carrion - deer for example.

afootinthehills said...

Byeways - Thanks, that information would be very welcome and obviously I won't make it public.

I used to drive to work on a quiet hill road, and about a mile before entering built up areas a hen harrier often (at least twice a week) flew beside me following a line of fence posts. Sheer delight - the perfect antedote to the dismal prospect of another day at the office!

Thanks again.