Stuc a' Chroin and Ben Vorich

Stuc a' Chroin and Ben Vorich

Sunday 16 January 2011

Beauly to Denny Power upgrade - Muthill and Tullibardine



Muthill and Tullibardine Community Council have created a film to try to get the Scottish Government to underground the part of the Beauly to Denny power upgrade that passes through this beautiful part of Perthshire. They say of their video, in Strathallan News, "It is crudely put together, but we needed to act fast, and this is a sign of our passion for protecting the community from the effects of these pylons".

I fully support them but we should all remember that undergrounded or not, in Perthshire or elsewhere along its route, this upgrade is being done to carry power from the uselessly inefficient wind power stations being built all over the Scottish hills.

Note: The video doesn't fit well into my blog-size but may do on others - if you can't read the complete email addresses at the end, just post a comment and I'll put them up.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The more threads of dissent and protest there are the better; and the more chance of those threads weaving together into a cohesive voice. I'm optimistic that it may already be happening.

(I'm not sure if this works on all browsers but on mine (Safari) if you click on the video and then click on it again when it's playing then the full width will display. I have a similar problem with embedded video disappearing under the panels to the right of the blog).

afootinthehills said...

I agree wholeheartedly that we need a cohesive voice and this does seem to be happening. I suppose I'm less optimistic simply because there is no point in the Beauly to Denny power upgrade unless many more wind power stations are built. Hydro, offshore wind and tidal may well play a role but I haven't yet heard anything to suggest that this would mean fewer onshore turbines. In fact I read somewhere recently (can't remember where) that Alec Salmond is holding back announcing plans to extend some (9 I think) existing windfarms until after the May election - assuming he wins of course.

Quite right - if you click on the video when it's playing it takes you to TouTube and the full screen. I should have known really!

afootinthehills said...

Byeways - To clarify! I mean I'm less optimistic that a cohesive voice will change things.

Laura said...

I'm less optimistic that a change of Scottish government will change anything re these developments..........

afootinthehills said...

I agree Laura. Unfortunately that removes it as an election issue and I expect they all know that. I recall Ian Gray saying that the decision on Beauly to Denny had taken too long!

Alan Sloman said...

Jim Mather again and whole sections of enquiries going to the minister that have been "accidentally" missed out.

Complete bastards. All of them.

afootinthehills said...

Couldn't have put it better myself Alan!