Stuc a' Chroin and Ben Vorich

Stuc a' Chroin and Ben Vorich

Thursday 16 May 2019

Tuesday 14 May - Meall Ghaordaidh. Munro 1039m


It came as a bit of a shock when I realised that it was forty two years ago come 26 November when we first climbed Meall Ghaordaidh under blue skies and in perfect, crisp, snow conditions. It was a quick ascent but with time enough to sunbathe on the lower slopes too.

I don't remember starting at Duncoisk but that's where the obvious start is nowadays (large sign saying so and I am suspicious of this practice, but that's another story).

The route through the pastures on the west side of the Allt Dhuin Croisg, past some old shielings, is a beautiful one with Meall Ghaordaidh in full view. Thankfully, given the high temperatures, it was gentle, easy going most of the way and on the final, steeper slopes a good path winds its way through the outcrops of rock - the sort of ground I enjoy - to emerge at the large shelter with trig point inside. I only have vague memories of these upper slopes and summit environs in the snow. Should have kept a journal.

People were following us early on but we had left them well behind and after a leisurely lunch they still hadn't appeared at the top. Views were excellent, if a little hazy. Ben Lawers dominated with Vorlich, Stuc a' Chroin, Ben More and Stob Binnein most notable among the many other peaks.

We'd just descended to below the outcrops when two walkers appeared, a father and son up from Fife for the son's 32nd Munro. We had a grand conversation and when asked 'how many have you done', Lynne said we'd finished in 1991. "I wasn't even born then", he exclaimed. He was at Dundee University but not a member of the Mountaineering Club, worried in case that took over his time. I teased that St Andrews University had a better club anyway! As we got ready to leave, both he and his father shook our hands - something very common when I was young and met other folks in the hills, but hardly in evidence now. Among climbers on reaching the top, yes, but the walking community is too varied now for those traditions to survive. That's my experience anyway. More's the pity.

Our descent was leisurely with a stop at the old shielings for a last cup of tea and some photographs. I was looking forward to some cool Highland Spring sparkling water back at the car but alas Lynne thought I'd brought it and I thought she had. Not as serious as the time this happened with ice axes on Skye!

I have been suffering with a very painful left Achilles tendon but it seems to be recovering at last much to my relief.

In the meantime (16th) we are having coffee at the Kenmore Hotel sitting in sun. Hopefully a Graham tomorrow.

2 comments:

Sir Hugh said...

Happy memories, I climbed this one with my Thursday walking Pal Pete on 25th August 2004. We ascended from the power station in Glen Lyon. There was one of the fiercest winds I can remember and we spent quite a while hunkered down in the shelter before venturing out for the descent.

Here is a photo of Pete at the trig:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i209z3pfxbpents/Slide24%20a.JPG?dl=0
Click on the thumbnail to enlarge.

afootinthehills said...

Yes indeed Conrad, the Munro years were full of happy times and it must be very gratifying for you to still be walking with Pete. It’s a fine shelter to hunker down in. I’m biased, but you really should get back up to Scotland. Thanks for the photo. All my Munro photos are slides (except repeated ones) and I’m going to get them out this winter and decide which of them should be digitised