Stuc a' Chroin and Ben Vorich

Stuc a' Chroin and Ben Vorich

Saturday 11 April 2020

Saturday 11 April - Living in the moment


Apart from our daily exercise I've been uploading photographs to Flickr initially because my cousin - we rock climbed together in our youth - asked to see photos of our locality and the hills of the north. I do like Flickr but the free version has a limit of 1000 photos, so sometime soon I'll have to upgrade to Pro and take out a subscription. Looking again at some of the photographs I've uploaded, Corbett trips to Rum, Knoydart and Letterewe, for example, have made us long to be back among those magnificent hills. It's not about the Corbetts, it's about just being there.

In all probability though, it will be next year before we can return so what, we asked ourselves, would be something special to plan and dream about during what will seem, we fear, a very long summer?   Living in the moment is all very well, but a bit of living in the future wouldn't go amiss we told ourselves.

So now we have an idea. A long term project. Plans can be laid. OS Maps can once more can spread on the floor.

In the Cuillin in the days of breeches and ordinary shirts. (from a slide)

The Flickr link for anyone interested is here


If you do have a look, bear in mind that I'm using Flickr for storage so there will be some you'll want to skip through. There are adverts every so often on the free version.

Meantime we await compost and seeds to grow lettuce, peas and cress in our growboxes.


































11 comments:

Sir Hugh said...

Had a look through the photos. The ones on Rum brought back some memories. I was there around 1960 for a glorious week with Gimmer who comments on my blog. Yes, the breeches - I remember them well.

afootinthehills said...

Sir Hugh - If I recall rightly, Rum was quite hard to get to in the 1960s with permission needed from the Nature Conservancy. We had several attempts thwarted by bad weather but were finally rewarded for our perseverance.By the way, I’ve just noticed that I’d inadvertently made all but one photo private in the Beinn Fhada album and that has now been rectified

Sir Hugh said...

Yes, we obtained permission. I think being members of the Wayfarer's Club was a factor. We camped on the shores of Loch Scresort. I fished in a loch above somewhere and we cooked trout on a wood fire. I have some 35mm slides digitised somewhere. I will try and put them on Dropbox for you tomorrow.

Sir Hugh said...

I've just found the photos. They are a bit mixed up chronologically and of questionable quality but photography has moved on a bit since the early Sixties! I will send you a link tomorrow - they take a while to upload.

I may have posted my last comment twice so delete on if neccessay.

Sir Hugh said...

Here is the Dropbox link:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/e7kpb8bctcz8xuq/AADRe17AFw1T1BUYA07uGAAka?dl=0

Click the first thumbnail to enlarge then the arrows at the bottom to see as proper slideshow.

afootinthehills said...

Hi Sir Hugh - Thanks for the photos - they are excellent and whoever scanned the slides for you has done an excellent job. I assume the fine fellow in the first photo is your good self? A week is really needed to see Rum but unfortunately had only had 3 days. Thanks again, we both enjoyed looking at them.

Sir Hugh said...

Glad you were able to access them properly. That is actually Gimmer (Tom)in the first photo.

Phreerunner said...

Very interesting, Gibson. I'm debating how to display slideshows. Flickr may have the edge over Dropbox, but neither seems as good as the old Picasa product.
There must be something that enables full screen viewing with captions.

My first visit to Rhum (as it was called) was in September 1971. I'd just started my first (and last) proper job, and with annual holidays of 10 working days, I wasn't expecting to get away. But they sprung a week on me and I went to Rum at short notice - it was easy to get the Nature Conservancy permission. I didn't climb any of the hills on that occasion - spent much of the time dodging insects. One day I'll scan the relevant slides!
And it doesn't seem like 2007 when I was last there, on that occasion visiting a few summits:
https://phreerunner.blogspot.com/2007/12/wednesday-28-december-2007-highlights.html

Take care all

Happy Days!

afootinthehills said...

Hi Martin. I used Flickr many years ago when it was part of Yahoo but left when it was sold to Verizon. It's now owned by SmugMug who are progressively improving it, so maybe the Pro version will eventually meet your slideshow needs. I'm about 500 photos away from needing to upgrade to Pro so will let you know what I find. SmugMug have said that without more people taking Pro the losses can't be sustained.Pity if it disappeared.

As for "Rhum", the spelling could never be correct since there is no 'rh' prefix in Gaelic I'm told. That aside, it was of course an invented name because George Bullough didn't want to be the laird of a drink. The spelling should never be used now. Rùm.

Will have a look at the pics.

Stay safe.



afootinthehills said...

Re photos Martin - it would have broken my heart to get weather like that on Rùm, but In the present circumstances it would seem like perfection to be there!

Phreerunner said...

Yes Gibson, the weather could have been better!
I'll promise to refer to it as Rùm in future, when I dig up some more photos and create a proper entry. I'll come across the 1971 slides at some point, but I'll have to create the 'diary entry' from memory or from letters to my parents, as I kept no diary for that trip.

Stay Safe