Stuc a' Chroin and Ben Vorich

Stuc a' Chroin and Ben Vorich

Friday 25 May 2018

Friday 25 May - calf

Well, I should have been posting this from the highlands telling of hills, glens and the superlative scenery of the western seaboard.

Alas, a few days before we were due to leave we took a walk through Corb Glen and on the return journey I felt pain in my right calf muscle. It didn't seem too bad initially, then after a couple of days it did a quick spiral downwards. Physio says no hills until at least the end of June, so all hols have cancelled including our usual trip to the Lake District. July and August, are not the best time for the highlands but they will have to do.

To add to the woes, the motorcaravan's water heater was damaged by the severe frosts of winter so needs to go to Dyce caravans for the whole of the first week in June. I've drained down caravans and motor caravans for about forty years without any problems so I'm at a loss as to what has gone wrong this time. Anyway, we had planned to take the tent with us to Dyce (Aberdeen for anyone unfamiliar with Scotland) and have a few remote camps during week - we'll have the car with us so there are (were) lots of possibilities.  Not now of course. Naturally, the weather has been stunning of late and is set to continue fine.Of course it is.

I've pushed on with building Revell's Space Shuttle model, Discovery, along with liquid hydrogen-oxygen tank, SRBs and the crawler. Discovery itself and the tank are complete but in terms of fit and quality of the plastic, this is possibly the worst model I've ever built, requiring lots of filler and sanding.

That's my moan over. Have a lovely summer everyone.

Speaking of sanding, my next job is to prepare the railings at the front door before applying Hammerite.Just how I like to spend summer days.


Sent from my iPhone

6 comments:

AlanR said...

It’s a real shame for you both. We feel your frustration. However, it’s nice to just base camp if you can find a remote ish place to just enjoy the weather and the scenery. We hope you recover quickly.

afootinthehills said...

Hi Alan - good to hear from you and thanks for your kind words and good wishes. Unfortunately I don’t think crawling in and out of a tent would be wise - I’m bound to do something stupid.



Sir Hugh said...

Sorry to hear of that affliction. Can we have photos of the latest model - work-in=progress? Using macro on my camera always seems to be a hit and miss job. It's 6:00 am and I'm just off to meet my pal to do the third section of the Bronte Way, day walk only.

afootinthehills said...

Thanks Conrad. My, you are an early bird today. Enjoy your day. I'll post about the model in due course and include photos of progress so far.

Phreerunner said...

Sorry to hear about your calf, Gibson. Sounds like you can still do domestics and modelling though, so I hope you enjoy that. Get better soon.

afootinthehills said...

Thanks Martin and sincere apologies for not replying sooner. I’ve not been receiving comment notifications from Blogger so completely missed your ‘best wishes’. I think I’ve resolved the problem by ticking the ‘Notify me’ box. Anyway, take care and don’t go lugging heavy rucksacks around anytime soon.